Skip to main content

1. Local Authority Social Services Funding:

Depending on your individual circumstances, you may be entitled to some financial assistance from their Local Authority Health & Social Care Services towards the cost of your care and support. An assessment is carried out by a Social Worker to determine if you are eligible for financial support from their Local Authority. You may also be required to make a financial contribution to Social Services towards the cost of this support, depending on your personal circumstances.
Find my local council

If you are eligible for financial support from the Local Authority, you will have a number of options available to you as to how they access and use this funding towards the cost of your care.

Social Services can arrange the support on the person’s behalf with a domiciliary service provider such as Applewood Support Ltd, and Social Services pay the service provider directly for the services they deliver to that person. You may be required to make a contribution to the local authority, depending on your circumstances.

Alternatively you can request an assessment to receive your funding from Social Services in the form of a Direct Payment. If you qualify for Direct Payments, this can be for the purpose of paying for your care and support.


2. Direct Payments:

a) Using Direct Payments to employ your own staff

You can choose to employ your own staff directly, in the form of Personal Assistants, whom you pay through the Direct Payments system. Whilst this may work for you, others tell us that this can sometimes be stressful due to having to take on the role of employer and all the responsibilities associated with this.


b) Self -Managed Direct Payments to purchase support from a Domiciliary Provider

You can use the Direct Payment to purchase their support directly from a registered Care Provider such as ourselves. The Direct Payments can be paid from Social Services straight to your account and we then invoice you for services provided on a four-weekly basis.


c) Provider Managed Accounts – Direct Payments

If you do not want to manage the Direct Payments account yourself, we have systems in place to manage the Direct Payments on your behalf – this is called a Provider Managed Account. There are other Third Party Organisations and Charities who can also take on this role for you The Direct Payment is paid directly to the service provider or third party, and a monthly statement is sent to the you, confirming the transactions that have taken place that month. This removes the worry a person may have about managing a complex account and employing their own staff by themselves, as this can be managed for them.

Combinations of all 3 of the above options are also possible, increasing choice and opportunities for you the Customer. Please follow the link below to apply for Direct Payments.
Direct Payments info


d) Individual Service Budgets

Different Local Authorities are exploring alternative forms of funding management, including Individual

Service Budgets. These may be available in the future as an alternative to direct payments.


2. Continuing Health Care Funding

Some people with complex support needs which include significant health care needs, may qualify for funding from their local Health Authority. To qualify for Continuing Health Care funding, the person must meet certain criteria, and this is usually jointly assessed by a Social Worker/Health Care Professional.


3. Private Funding

Some Customers using our services fund their care and support package privately, and we invoice them (or their nominated representative) on a four weekly basis for the support they receive. This support may be in the form of direct personal support, or it may be in the form of companionship to enable you to pursue activities, interests and hobbies.

The vouchers can be used to purchase support at home in the form of an experienced Support Worker to assist the Customer with a variety of activities that they wish to undertake – such as cooking meals from raw ingredients; or to use one of our internet accessible laptop computers which can be brought to the home so that the Customer can be assisted to do their own internet grocery shopping, to explore the Web or to send e-mails to distant friends and family members.

Alternatively, this time can also be used to access to the community – to accompany and support the Customer to do their own shopping, to attend hospital/GP appointments, to go on outings to places of interest, or to access local community facilities such as colleges, cinemas, Disability and long term sickness payments. If you have a disability, or a long term health condition or illness then you may be entitled to receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP), which replaces the previous Disability Living Allowance (DLA). Personal Independence Payment helps with extra costs associated with long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.
More info


Financial assistance for older adults

You may be eligible to receive Attendance Allowance if you’re physically or mentally disabled and aged 65 or over. Attendance Allowance is for providing extra help with personal care needs.
Attendance Allowance info


Carer’s allowance

You may be entitled to receive Carer’s Allowance, which is available to anyone who is caring for someone with substantial care needs. You do not have to be related to them, (or living with them), but you do need to spend 35 hours a week or more caring for them.
Carer’s Allowance info

You may also receive Carer’s Credit which keeps your NI up to date. If you are caring for someone, you will need to think about your time off. Direct Payments can be used for this.
Carer’s Credit info